Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Sugar Free Month Begins

If you haven't read my blog earlier, here's a recap - a few weeks ago my friends & I were discussing our addiction to chocolate and all things sweet. Now R & S are even more foodies than I am so when all 3 of us admit we have a problem you can be sure we do. Given that we're all trying to eat healthier and meet various health and nutrition goals we decided to attempt to give up our biggest weakness - desserts - for a while to help us get there and some idiot (me!) suggested we try this for a month.

The rules are simple - no cookies, no desserts, minimize extra sugar in our tea/coffee and in general try and stick to more natural forms of sugar - fruits, yoghurt and au naturale fruit juices. Since all 3 of us love our morning cereals we are not cutting those out since we do stick to the more nutritionally rich ones - Kashi, Cheerios, Oatmeal and the like.

Now you know it takes 21 days to form a new habit so 4 weeks should give us enough time to get there. I'm definitely not trying to go Sugar Free for the rest of my life - I love chocolate way too much for that - but I do want more control over my cravings. If I do slip - and since going cold turkey is hard for most people - I'm paying the price. Ten bucks for every misstep - all going to the food banks I had mentioned in my earlier post. So let the mayhem, the withdraw symptoms, the shakes and the cravings begin.

Goodbye chocolate. Don't miss me, I'll be back!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Thanks for your blog. I had the mother of all migraines yesterday. Could have been any no. of triggers but I think it was all the chocolate I binged on, on Valentine's (my portion+part of a good friends' portion). Flip side to this scenario... will be staying away from all things chocolate for a loooong while (or at least a month:-).